作者:Ella Wheeler Wilcox 威尔科克斯
译者:麦格兰岛岛主Sean
Laugh, and the world laughs with you;
欢笑,这世界同你欢笑
Weep, and you weep alone.
悲泣,你独自一人悲泣
For the sad old earth must borrow its mirth,
古老而忧伤的大地也要找寻快乐
But has trouble enough of its own.
因它也深陷麻烦自顾不暇
Sing, and the hills will answer;
歌唱,则群山回应
Sigh, it is lost on the air;
叹息,则散落空寂
The echoes bound to a joyful sound,
欣喜之声引来回声不绝
But shrink from voicing care.
忧虑之音悄然销声匿迹
Rejoice, and men will seek you;
欢喜,引来众人相随
Grieve, and they turn and go;
忧伤,他们转身离去
They want full measure of all your pleasure,
人们愿以你的快乐为快乐
But they do not need your woe,
谁愿以你的忧愁为忧愁
Be glad, and your friends are many;
快乐起来,朋友会踏破门槛
Be sad, and you lose them all, —
沉浸悲伤,他们会消失殆尽
There are none to decline your nectared wine,
人们不会拒绝你分享的美酒佳酿
But alone you must drink life’s gall.
但孑然一人,你杯中苦酒只能独自品尝
Feast, and your halls are crowded;
设宴,则高朋满座
Fast, and the world goes by.
斋戒,则门可罗雀
Succeed and give, and it helps you live,
成功和给与,让你活出千般滋味
But no man can help you die.
可死亡临近,人人都无计可施
There is room in the halls of pleasure
欢愉的殿堂里无比宽敞
For a long and lordly train,
足以容纳一列雄伟的列车
But one by one we must all file on
只是,我们却不得不鱼贯而行
Through the narrow aisles of pain.
各自挤过那条叫做“痛苦”的逼仄通道返回搜狐,查看更多